Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ted Nugent on our 2nd Amendment

"...I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em." Ted Nugent.

I'd love to see Nugent rewrite the Model Penal Code. I get a feeling that this crude vision of justice would lead to the greatest drop in crime we've ever seen in the history of our country.

In fact, we've seen it work. In the early 80s, Kennesaw, Georgia passed an ordinance requiring all Kennesaw citizens to have a loaded firearm in the house. Since the ordinance passed, crime rates have dropped. Today, Kennesaw is said to have the lowest crime rate for a city its size. How can this possibly be so? Again, it's easy. If I know my neighbor has loaded guns in the house, I certainly won't break in. If I know the average Joe on the street is probably packing heat, I won't mess with him. If you're stupid and want to take your chances, you'll probably get shot. And that's probably not that bad either. It's a win-win.

Moreover, gun control laws don't work. The criminals who obtain a gun to commit a crime will obtain one regardless. What does this mean? It means unintended consequences. It means that law abiding folk won't be armed while all the miscreants are.

Ted Nugent discusses the 2nd Amendment with Evan Smith, host of the KLRU program TEXAS MONTHLY TALKS and editor of TEXAS MONTHLY magazine.


No comments: